Saturday, April 5, 2014

En Plein Air: Friends on Mrs. Foter's Farm (Oil 11 x 18)


Recently I noticed there was water in my bathroom. I didn't know where it came from and felt devastated. The plumber didn't think it was a plumbing problem. It didn't seem to be coming from the roof. Finally I called the insurance company. An inspector was sent to check the problem.While further inspection was needed to locate the leak, I felt I needed to do something to take my mind off the awful situation and do something that would give me a break. Therefore, I loaded my car with the painting kit and hit the road. 

I drove along the N. River Road till I saw Mrs. Foster's farm. I painted her farm a few times before. Mrs. Foster was so nice that she told me that I could come anytime and didn't have to call her beforehand or knocked on her door to get her permission. So I did exactly what she told me. Only her daughter Don came out of the house and said she remembered me. 

I saw a horse, a bull, and a cow were grazing on a hay stack in the shade. I quickly stopped my car and pulled things out to set up. I was eager to put into practice what I learned from Californian plein-air master Calvin Liang's teachings. Calvin Liang is a Chines-American artist. I am very much impressed by the way he handles the balance between tones and colors. What I did today was a quick oil sketch. It took only an hour or so. I didn't try to make my first layer thinner by adding medium as his student Jose describes Liang's initial steps in his workshop. Jose did such a good job in depicting Liang's approaches that I am going to list both Liang's website and Jose's blog below so that you know what I mean.

http://calvinliangfineart.com/

http://josedejuan.blogspot.com/2010/07/calvin-liang-workshop-day-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment