Thursday, January 9, 2014

Today's Sketches and Introducing Kim English's Painting Process

 A passenger was reading the newspaper on F Train today. It was rare these days reading paper products on train. Since I often sketch on subway, I am clearly aware that at least half of the passengers are either reading or play games on their phone. Often times I see people read Ebooks. For that reason, the lady would soon be a dinosaur on subway. I guess even though I myself is another one. In spite of that, I prefer everybody doing something like reading, even on their phone, over talking on it. Subways like 7 train run above ground for part of its route. I don't understand why people have so much nonsense to talk on the phone. As soon as the train comes above ground, it is a nuisance to realize that the person sitting next to you spontaneously takes the phone out of his/her pocket and begins to yell loudly into the phone, sometimes, in a language you don't understand, but it is so close to your ear that you feel like grabbing his phone and throwing it to the ground.

 This is an unfinished sketch of two love birds on subway sitting face-to-face with me. They were in their own world and didn't even realize the guy sitting on the other side was drawing them. However, I got only the guy's face. Before I could start on the girl, they stood up and got off the train. I couldn't finish the lady sitting next to them, either.

Two passengers on E Train. I couldn't finish the sun-glassed lady in fur-laced coat.

Kim English's Demo of Painting Process

Kim English is one of my favorite contemporary American artists. People call him (yes, he is male) the poet in fine art. If you do a little research and get familiar with his paintings, you'll know why he got the nickname. I like his landscape as well as figure paintings. The following is the stages of a sequential painting process he demonstrated in a workshop. I am sure it will interest some of my friends.





 

1 comment:

  1. I love this work. And I am enjoying your sketches of subway folks. When do u get back?...penny

    ReplyDelete