Sunday, January 5, 2014

Alla Prima: Digging out the City (Oil 20 x 16)


This is what I did today. The street is Park Lane at foot of the terrace which is the Overlook Point, Forest Park, Queens, NY. It was a crisp morning after the heavy snowfall. From midnight on, I had heard snow plows running down the street with loud noises. In spite of the fact that cars parked on street were almost totally covered under snow, the sidewalk had been cleaned well as you could see in my painting. I was impressed by the lonesome tree which was big and strong, growing right from under the stone wall. Maybe it sprouted without being noticed and later it grew so fast and big that people thought it better to leave it alone since it didn't really bother people coming and going on the sidewalk, to say nothing about the shade people could get from its foliage.


I've been trying to follow a number of prestigious  contemporary artists in processing oil landscape painting, such as Carolyn Anderson, Kim English, Jeffrey Watts, etc. Their approaches are different. In order to compare and remind myself, I often record my own process by taking pictures of the progressing stages. The following are the subsequent stages of the process in painting the picture.

 




 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment