Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Plein Air Oil Sketch: A Fall Afternoon (12 x 9)

It was freezing today. The temperature was 32 degrees. I wore heavy ski jacket and long johns when I went out to paint in the morning. I don't know whether it was fortunate or unfortunate when one leg of my tripod was disjointed and part of it fell off. Obviously something was either broken or dropped. Therefore, I had to go home and warmed up myself.

I went out in the afternoon with an old tripod which was till usable. I thought it would be warmer than in the morning sun and, also out of laziness, I didn't put back on the long johns after I took them off. When I was standing on the street corner painting, I regretted to realize the price for laziness. I wore vinyl gloves. Shortly after I began, my fingers felt numb. I knew I could not paint this piece as usual and had to hurry through. I simply blocked in color masses. So this one was really quick, only a little more than an hour. Overall, I think I got the atmosphere effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment