Monday, August 25, 2014

Oil Sketches: Tom and Birds

Early this morning I drove to a small park on Joel Blvd. named Charlie. R. Matheny Park, which is only two miles from my home with a small pond. Local people often go there to fish or feed birds. It was a beautiful morning. Almost at the same time as I arrived in the park, another car pulled in. A guy took folders, drinking bottle, etc. from his car and walked straight to one of the pavilions by the pond. He laid his stuff on the picnic table and made another trip back to his car and fetch something else. Then he sat down at the picnic table and began to do his paper work. He did all those things with a kind of sureness which gave me the impression that they were part of his daily routines. I simply couldn't help myself but think of painting him. However, with my terrible experience with Lawrence last Friday, I first had a conversation with him. The gentleman's name was Tom, who owned some condominium buildings nearby. After that I asked him if I could paint him. Tom graciously allowed me to paint him while working there. I immediately rushed into my business. I painted him reading at the picnic table in the shade from the pavilion roof. The sketch took only an hour.

When I finished painting Tom and turned around, interestingly, I saw two kinds of birds sitting together in the shade from a tree trunk by the pond. They formed such a beautiful picture that I turned my easel at a 180 degrees right away and painted that scene. It took not even an hour. By 11 AM I was already home.

 Tom (Oil 11 x 11)

Sharing the Cool Spot (Oil, 11 x 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment