Saturday, August 2, 2014

En Plein Air Oil Sketch: Morning Sun (12 x 9)

It was really a quick sketch because I knew the sun would not wait for me. The lighting effect would change very quickly. The whole thing took only an hour and ten minutes. The location is a street corner at the intersection of Leeland Heights Blvd. and Abbot Ave. Yesterday morning when I was biking, I noticed the sun shone through the trees in the wood and lit up a s mall clearing. I told myself that I would come to paint the subtle sunlight effect this morning.
When I was painting, a lady from a nearby house came out to look. She said, "Oh, you are painting. I thought some wild berry pickers came here." I met wild berry pickers in the roadside woods or bushes before. Sometimes, they scared me. When all is quiet around you, suddenly you hear a rustling sound from behind a bush. That could scare you. They are mostly harmless undocumented immigrants trying to make a living by picking wild berries. However, for security reasons, some local residents are hostile to them. I feel sorry for those guys. I guess each of them has a different horrible story about how his/her bad luck in the past has driven him/her to this situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment