Friday, September 29, 2017

Oil, Sketch: The Afternoon on the Lawn (12 x 16)


I believe I caught the flu during the vacation on the west coast. Even before we got home, both my wife and I began to cough. I had been confined home for a few days when the symptoms got more and more severe. I lost my voice, got blood-shot eyes, stuffed nose, and sore throat. I kept coughing all the time believing time was the only cure when my wife noticed that I forgot to cough and was very quiet when I was painting a plant pot at home. Therefore, in spite of the fact that I still felt a little light-headed, I decided to go out to paint this afternoon.

I knew I could find people on the lawn inside the Forest Gardens near Ascan Ave. and it was not too far away. I put all my painting stuff in the shopping cart and pushed it along Burns St. Maybe it was too early and the school was not over yet. I saw only two girls sitting on the lawn. Without hesitating, I set up to paint them. Right when I finished laying down the image of the first girl, the other one lied down on the grass. So I simply painted her that way. For the sketch, I just lay blocks of color on the canvas. The whole thing took not quite an hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment