Friday, October 30, 2015

En Plein Air Sketch: Horticulturist Buddy (Oil, 12 x 15)

I went this morning with Lee Plein Air group to the Southern Fresh Farm which was near the I-75 Exit 131 to the airport. Since this was the first time I was there, as I entered the gate, I left my kit at the entrance and walked around to see what I was going to paint. There were a lot of things to consider. Under the roof of the open barn there were all kinds of veggies and farm produce for sale and, of course, people. However it was too dark. Besides, I was concerned that it would be crowded when parents brought children there later since that was Halloween Eve and the farm host had already prepared hay rides for kids. I saw horses, cows, goats, turkeys, chicken, etc. Also, the first time I saw in an above-ground artificial pond no bigger than a home pool, they were raising tilapia. One of the farmers told me that when the fish grew to 2 pounds in weight, they would get them out and sell them on the market. Finally I saw Buddy was planting saplings of flowers plants in palstic-covered patches. I asked him how long he would stay there doing that. He said he would do that for a half hour. I set right away and started to paint him. I got his image first before I added the environment to the painting. He was nice to stay a minute longer for me to finish his image and left.


No comments:

Post a Comment