Tuesday, February 11, 2014

En Plein Air: The Hut Tropical Garden and Artist Lori at Work


Yesterday afternoon when I was deciding where I should go the next day, I received a message from Penny who planned to teach her class at the Hut Tropical Garden and asked me if I was interested in joining them. That, of course, made my decision-making easier. However, I remembered the wrong time and arrived at the Hut earlier than scheduled, so I told myself "why not simply do a quick sketch?" Even though I painted the bridge before, it looked different this morning. I did it really quick, only an hour and a half.

When I finished the painting, Penny's group had already started their class. By the time I moved to their site, there was only an hour left before lunch time. After setting up, I got only a half hour. I decided to paint Lori because she was in the sun. Painting a figure in the sun was what was on my mind. I barely laid the outline and blocked in large chunks of color when lunch time came. We ate at the Hut restaurant. The food was good, but the lunch took a little too long. By the time we went back to the site, there was, again, one hour left before critique time. So I was really rushing it and, as you can tell, it was a second quick sketch of the day. I left the umbrella blank. I don't plan to finish it for I like the way it is.




1 comment:

  1. Mo, thanks so much for joining us. It was a really good day., penny

    ReplyDelete