Tuesday, February 18, 2014

En Plein Air: Driving All the Way to the Sea (Oil 10 x 10)

This morning I went to Fort Myers Beach. After leaving my car on the Art Association parking lot, I crossed the street to the beach. My original purpose was to find some sun bathing people lying there and paint figures in the sun. When I recalled, I realize the idea was subconsciously influenced by the Joaquin Sorolla Y Bastida exhibition which I watched in New York. I was so impressed by his plein air studies on the beach. Very few masters in art history have ever worked like him on beach. Unfortunately, I saw many people walking on the beach but not a single sun bathers there. Maybe it was too early or kind of chilly. At the same time, I was so surprised that Coconut RV was packed full. There were RVs parked almost on the beach. Therefore, I decided to paint the scene I saw there.


No comments:

Post a Comment