Thursday, October 5, 2017

Plein Air Oil Sketch: Waiting by the Basketball Field (8 x 12)


I didn't know why my coughing had been dragging for so long. I felt better in the daytime, but when I lay down in bed, it was difficult to fall asleep because of the non-stopping coughing. I got some nasal spray today, hoping it would help me sleep. 

Even though I didn't sleep well last night, I still felt like going out to paint. Physically I wasn't able to go too far. When I got inside the Forest Park, I noticed a teenage boy was sitting on a huge stump with a little girl. They were both drawing something on the paper. I asked him if he would let me paint him. He said yes. However, before I finished setting up, he came over and said he didn't want to be painted. So,  I put everything back into my shopping cart and pushed across the lawn.

Close to the edge of the lawn, a mother was playing with a baby on the grass in the shade. I set up again and began to paint them. Unfortunately, in about two minutes, the lady stood up from the grass and began to whip and fold the blanket. I knew that would be the end of it. So again I put things back into my shopping cart and pushed it to the paved trail by the basketball field cage. The trail circled around the cage and went uphill. From there I could look down over the concrete basketball field. I noticed a school girl was sitting on the ground leaning against the triangle wall, watching and waiting possibly for her boyfriend. I immediately took things out of the shopping cart and settled down to paint her. I was a quicky, completed only in 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment