Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sketches and Portrait

I planned for today to paint Fort Myers Beach in the morning and then paint portrait with FMBAA portrait group in the afternoon. Before I left home, I seemed to have thought of everything -- easel, canvas panel, etc. I even left home early in order to beat the traffic. By the time I got to Gulf Marine Ways Boatyard, I realized, to my dismay, that i forgot my paint box. Gary, the boatyard lift operator, whom I knew for quite some time, asked me what had happened seeing me standing there at a loss. He doubled himself and laughed upon hearing what I forgot. Yeah, I had to laughed at myself : "Getting forgetful and senile."

I still had my sketchbook in the car. Therefore, I began to sketch the scenes at the boatyard till finally my pen was out of ink. It was really one of those days. The following are what I did there.





After I was done with the boatyard, I joined the convoy crawling across the bridge to Fort Myers Beach in order to pay my due membership. I didn't plan to paint since I didn't have the paint box with me. Today's model was Tom, artist Pam's son and a handsome young man. Pam said to me, "Why don't you just use my acrylic stuff since I am not going to paint. When you are finished, you may ask Tom to bring them home." Pam was very nice to loan me her kit, so I promise to give the finished portrait to her. The panel I brought had a layer of pink underpainting and was originally meant for landscape. Therefore, I painted the portrait in a reddish color scheme. The whole portrait session was only 2 hours. With time deducted for breaks, the portrait took about an hour and twenty minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment