Monday, March 10, 2014

Introducing a Useful Website and a Master Landscape Artist Isaac Levitan

http://www.wikipaintings.org/

You may find the above link very useful. At the website you may search numerous classic masters work. You may search artist by alphabet, style, topic, and view his/her formal pieces and studies chronologically. there could be hundreds of artworks under the name of only one artist. Here is an example. Click one link and you'll get a lot of artworks and information.

John Singer Sargent

John Singer Sargent
Self-Portrait - John Singer Sargent
Born: 12 January 1856; Florence, Italy
Died: 14 April 1925; London, United Kingdom
Field: painting
Nationality: American
Art Movement: RealismImpressionism
Genre: portrait
Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Singer_Sargent

Also, I'd like to introduce one of my most favorite landscape masters, Jewish Russian artist Isaac Levitan. Almost half a century ago in my high school years, there were quite a few photocopies of his major landscapes pinned up in my bedroom. Since I moved to this country more than 30 years ago, most of the classic masters I have studied here are Western world artists. Even though, during this period, I had some contact with Russian topics such as those in Russian-American artist Nicolai Fechin's works. Overall, Levitan became remote in my memory. 

I began to study many classic, modern, and contemporary European and American artists, among whom there is one American landscape artist named Marc Dalessio. He impressed me more than any other contemporary artists. He is currently teaching at Florence Art Academy, Italy. I believe I have introduced him in my blog. Not till I further researched Dalessio did I understand why I had a kind of special feelings for him. What I felt subconsciously now became logical. It turns out Delassio is a spiritual disciple of Levitan. The following are some of Levitan's works. The last one is Vladimirka Road. The road begins in Moscow, and ends in Siberia. the painting calls to mind the many unfortunate souls who trod the road, clanging their chains, on their way to exile. There is a woman waiting beside a small altar. Levitan tried to give the painting to an acquaintance who happened to be a Czarist government official. The guy was afraid to accept it.


 









1 comment:

  1. Mo, You get better every day......The subway folks have delighted me! Thanks, Penny

    ReplyDelete