Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Alla Prima Figure Painting: Where to Put It? (Acrylic, 19 x 17)


I put on jeans and a long-sleeve shirt before I went out to paint this morning. By dressing myself like that, I had the mosquitoes in my mind. The heavy showers we had in the past few days, according to the TV meteorologist, would have provided the conditions mosquitoes needed to breed. When I left home, I didn't have any idea where I was going to paint. However, the humidity I felt when I came out of the house told me it was in pretty high density and it sort of concerned me to paint outside in the open. 

When my car was approaching the First Community Congregational Church, I realized that it had been quite some time since I painted at the church. I knew Pastor Debbie pretty well and respected the church for its involvement in helping the local needy people. I saw quite a few cars at the parking lot, so I told myself why not stop to check if I could do some figure paintings inside.

Stepping inside the church, I noticed that people there had already been bustling around and they looked very busy. Before long I saw Pastor Debbie who told me they were preparing for a food pantry and it would begin at 8:30 AM. By then, I noticed some people had already been standing in a line and waiting for free food. I asked if I could paint some of the volunteers working there. Pastor Debbie said no problem but she was a little concerned that they were moving around all the time. I told her not to worry and I was able to handle that. I would not be in their way. I would pick one of the staff, who could move around do whatever she wanted to so long as she was basically doing the same thing and came back to the same position from time to time. So I went to their storage room and found myself a spot in a small corner which barely allowed enough space for my easel. I decided to paint Earline, who carried stuff in and out of the room. When there was nothing to carry, she stood there for me to paint. Other staff members said jokingly, "Now she is a statue." Eventually, I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment