Thursday, April 3, 2014

Alla Prima Portrait: Jessica (Oil 20 x 16)


I went to Punta Gorda VAC Portrait Studio today. We had two models: Gene and Jessica. Gene is our own member, a pleasant and active gentleman whom I painted before. You may find the portrait I made of him in this blog. Jessica is new, at least new to me. She is a college student in St. Pete. She said she planned to major in art. That is great, I think. Starving artists like us do perish fast. We need successors, of course.

I experimented a little in today portrait. Recently I have been studying quite a few portraits painted with dark background. I longed to create the portrait image with a strong sense of space and depth. The image would make people feel like being chiseled out of a black marble. Well, I didn't totally reach my goal. Possibly, I wasn't bold enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment