Friday, December 28, 2012

Landscape: A Crisp Morning After Snow and Rain



It is really good to have a bright crisp morning after more than a week under an overcast sky no matter where you went. It was cold but didn't feel so bad 'cause there was no wind. I didn't walk very far from where I lived before I found what to paint. The scene was at the crossroad of Deerwood Rd. by Keswick Pl., Fort Lee, NJ. In fact, I was standing on a hilltop, watching down the slope of Deerwood Road. The morning sun shone from my left-hand side, dragging the dark shadows almost across the street. The small white house glared in the morning sun. From where I stood, I could see the purplish highland beyond the edge of the city. The whole view provided a good variety in color, shape, and value. The painting took an hour and a half. The whole process was simply a total sum of my emotional response to senses but very little redundant wishwash in terms of strokework. Part of the reason might be the cold. Even though I didn't feel it while painting, I believe it was because of my focus on painting and very little attention spared to the cold sensation. Toward to the end, I did feel my muscles in one foot became stiff and I had to jump up and down a couple of times to get off the kinks.


3 comments: