Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sketches in Acrylic: Zilda and Jackie

Zilda

Jackie
 
Yesterday I called Kirsten, the Manager of the Reflections Unit (Alzheimer) at Winkler Court Nursing Home, saying I was going there to paint today and that I also intended to do two portraits. So when I got there around 9:30 AM. Zilda had been chosen to pose for me first. Zilda was a very amiable lady. She didn't need a break even when I asked her. She was quiet and didn't smile much. I used about two hours including settling up and waiting for Zilda. She finally cracked a sweet smile when I showed her my completed portrait of her. In the middle of painting, Ellen, whom I painted before, recognized me and came to talk and distract me, but she was nice and I have learned to cope with this kind orf situations at Winkler.
 
I gave myself a lunch break since it was also the lunchtime for Winkler residents. When I came back from lunch, an interesting thing happened. I saw an elderly lady sitting in a wheelchair stuck right in the middle of the hall. As I was about to pass her, she suddenly asked me, "Could you push me that way?" I immediately came to realize that in their world anyone who could walk fast and straight must be a Winkler employee. What the heck. "Of course," I responded. Then she navigated me like a ship captain: "Make a right turn... yes...Slow down, please..." Following her directions, we arrived at her room at last. It was Room 303. Then she told me that I might leave.
 
My model in the afternoon was Jackie. Jackie was also quiet, but, unlike Zilda, she was unable to sit still. She seemed to be bothered by the Band-Aid on her hand. I would have been very happy if she could have sat straight for twenty seconds on end since she frequenly bowed down to fondle the bandage. I was proud of myself for handling a situation like that. Even the janitor noticed that, saying "You did this one really fast." In fact, they are both just sketches in acrylic. Hope you like them.



1 comment: