Thursday, September 27, 2012

Life Drawing

Today in Professor Schwartz' class we did a couple of gesture drawings as a warmup, followed by a full-lengh life figure drawing. I used soft pastel. Usually I couldn't do too much details with soft pastel, so I drew it pretty fast. After the first 20 minutes, I basically had the outline down and, by the second 20 minutes was over, I got tones on already. I shouldn't have dragged that long and could have started a second drawing but, regretfully, I didn't. I knew I overdid it, which wasn't very good. To my surprise, during the break when Mr. Schwartz began to critique students' homework, suddenly he asked one of the students to take my half-completed drawing off the easel and bring it to the front. Then he asked every student to come to my drawing and, pointing to the shoulder of the figure, explained how trasition in drawing shoudl be conducted. I felt very much flattered especially when those young kids wowed. Only I knew that it could have been much better that what they saw.

We have an interesting assignment for homework this week: Line over Ink Wash and Ink Wash over Line. Also we'll start to draw full-length costumed figure next week.







1 comment: